Statue of Washington in Morristown, NJ
Located on a triangle island in front of the Ford Mansion it sits on the place where historians believe Washington’s guards encamped during the winter of 1779-80, when the General stayed nearby at the Ford Mansion.
The bronze statue was cast in Florence, Italy, and dedicated on the 147th anniversary of the British surrender at Yorktown, Oct. 19, 1928. The piece was designed by Brooklyn-born sculptor George Richard Roth, whose specialty was animals. He did the sled dog “Balto” in New York’s Central Park.